Doxey Community Association

Minutes of the meeting held on 8th June 2005

Present: Nigel Barnett, John Corcoran, Susan Corcoran, Isabella Davies, Sally Hems, David Hughes, Mick Johnson, Sarah Moody (SMo), Joan Moore, Stephen Moore (SM), John Peel, John Perks, Pat Perks, Barbara Simpson, John Smith, Mike Turner, Adrian Venebales

Apologies: Joyce Beach, Tom Beach, Michelle Elliot, Jane Essex, Sue Fox, Claire Gaisford, Denise Peel

Minutes of the meeting held on 13th April 2005

Approved as a correct record

2. Matters arising from the minutes of the meeting held on 13th April 2005

Parish Council It was suggested that the Parish Council be a formal agenda item in future to give a parish council representative an opportunity to update the group at the DCA meeting. NB, the chair, reported that they are currently finalising bank details, insurance and other technical issues. The Parish Council have joined the Staffordshire Parish Councils’ Association (SPCA) and are currently advertising in the newsletter and within the SPCA database for a clerk. The SPCA were thanked for their help so far, they have offered a free training day as well as the ad hoc advice they have already received. Parish Councillors were pleased that there had been a public presence at meetings so far and it had been decided to have a ‘public forum’ at future meetings to enable members of the public to speak. The ninth member (to replace the person who resigned) is being sought, there has been some interest but if no one takes up the position the council are able to co-opt. There was also a request for a Parish Council notice board so that information and minutes can be displayed.

3. Youth Forum

There was no formal report as SF is still unwell. AV reported that there are on going discussions about the leisure barn but meetings will not start again until SF returns. The Forum has also become involved with a consumer services watchdog. The football pitch around the mouth of the goal has no grass and is overgrown elsewhere; there is some litter and a number of holes around the grounds. A request was made to the Parish Council to lobby the Borough Councils Open Spaces department. MT had received no reply to the letter he sent on the matter last month. There are concerns that the play scheme is not operating this year, young people have requested activities such as football, basketball, athletics and woodcrafts. JM offered to attend a meeting about the issues discussed and AV agreed. JM will liaise to organise a date.

4. Report on Village Voices

Those present had attended one or both performances. Evaluation and response had been very positive. Everyone was delighted with the outcome and were pleased that Doxey people had been involved. The displays had been featured at the county show in Culturegen’s tent. A DVD is now available at a cost of £3.50; videos can be made for those who do not have DVD players.

5. Report on Clear Out Day

This was another good event with little left over at the end and no rubbish. A car full was taken to Save The Children. JM has a wooden cot which will be advertised in the Doxey Times if no one wishes to take it.

6. Report on Plant Sale

About £140 was raised from the sale of plants and bric-a-brac. There were many plants donated and some are left over so will go on the DCA stand at the summer fete at the school.

7. Programme for 2005

The Village Voices professional premiere will take place in Doxey on Saturday 11th June at 7.30pm at the church

Fun day has been moved to Saturday 20th August. Concerns were raised about certain activities posing a possible danger at the last meeting but Playaway were unable to confirm if races such as the three-legged event have been banned, they suggested contacting the school

DH investigated the possibility of a trip to Blackpool and Saturday 17th September was chosen. The cost will be £10 per head if the coach is full, it will leave Doxey at 8am and return from Blackpool at 9pm with a two-hour tour of the lights. An adult must accompany children under 12. An advert will be placed in Doxey Times, but DH has approximately 20 people interested already.

The next Clear Out Day will take place in late September/early October

8. Doxey Times

Blackpool Illuminations trip

Advertisement of the cot

New fun day date

Post Village Voices activities, including an advert for the DVD

A reminder about safety near the railways

Date of the next Parish Council meeting

Next DCA meeting

All information should be sent to SM by 25th June

9. Correspondence

The renewal of DCA's Community Matters membership has been confirmed, it came with an invitation to their 60th AGM and information on children’s policies and working with vulnerable people. DCA already have a policy as part of its constitution

Further Local Development Framework consultation literature had been received from Stafford Borough Council. JM will respond personally as the timescales are short

We received a Green Awards nomination form and DCA will put themselves forward for the work that has happened over the last 12 months

An additional letter from Stafford Borough Council was received regarding open spaces, if there are areas anywhere in the Borough which may benefit from a clear up people should notify Paul at the Borough Council by doing a sketch or small written description of the area

Walking For Health leaflets are now available with dates of May, June and July events

10. Any Other Business

SM reminded the meeting that the School Fete is taking place on Friday 24th June at 3.15pm; any help on the plant stall would be welcome.

There had been an incident on the railway tracks and the British Transport Police wished to remind people of the dangers.

A litter picker was requested by SH so that she can clear up litter left around the estate. JM will provide it.

It was thought that young people had dammed Swallow Brook causing concerns about the wildlife living there; JM will contact Staffs County Council to establish whose responsibility it is.

The Real Nappy Campaign are hiring the party tent and will make a small donation, this should cover the cost of the kit to put the tent up on hard ground, this will cost £70.

9. Date of next meeting

Wednesday 13th July 2005 at 7pm at the Sutton Centre

 

(click here for printable (pdf) Version )