Doxey Community Association


Minutes of the meeting held on 09/09/2009 at 7.30pm at the William Sutton Centre.


Present: J. Smith, T. Strickland, I. Davies, M. Wright, M. Zaminzky;

D. Hughes, M Simpson, J. Wood, A. Bottomly, S. Hems,

J. Harvey, C. Franklin, J. Brough.


Apologies: G. Smith, D. Peel, J. Peel, M. Turner, E. Last. A. Sumner Smith.


Matters Arising:


Trustees

Sally Hems has agreed to remain a trustee.

Forthcoming Events

Anita has confirmed 3rd/4th October as the dates for the ‘Introduction to Felt Making’. John Smith will check the availability of the Sutton Centre and confirm this in the Doxey Times.


Senior Citizens Christmas Lunch


The date is now fixed for Saturday 12th December. It was agreed that the D.C.A. would help with the funding of the lunch, approximately eighty pounds with a ceiling of one hundred pounds. Joan Harvey proposed, Isabella Davies seconded the proposal. Volunteers will be needed to help with the preparations and the success of the lunch, D.C.A members were happy to volunteer. John Smith will ask the headmaster of the school if they would like to participate in the after lunch entertainment.


Skill Based Funding for Training


    Denise Peel has renewed the D.C.A. membership with the S.D.V.S.


Minutes

The minutes for the meeting held on 08/07/09 were accepted as a true record, proposed D. Hughes, seconded by I. Davies.


Universal Bowling Club Project.


Carl Franklin and Jess Brough came to the meeting to outline their plan to rebuild the club house. The aim is to make the club house available to everyone, to encourage young people to take up bowls and to bring people to the area with open competitions.


They will be submitting a total of three bids to the Heritage Lottery Funding and have requested a letter of support from the D.C.A. John Smith has agreed to write supporting their proposal.


Heritage Lottery Funding - The preparation for the D.C.A. bid for funding for the Doxey History

Archive is progressing. John will put a request in the Doxey Times for photographs and memories of Doxey to be taken along to the Doxey

Reunion Day on 25th October. It was agreed that a computer and scanner be available to capture the photographs and memories to add to the archive.


Clear Out Day

John Smith will contact Mike Turner with a view to a date in early October.

Parish Council Report

David Hughes said that, after a meeting with the council, it was decided that the old play park would be unsuitable, due to the expense. The cost of the maintenance, £6000, would have to be paid by the Parish Council. They would also be expected to refurbish the play equipment in the park.


David said that the Parish Council were now concentrating on the area beside the football field which would be ideal for a skateboard park. They are negotiating with St. Cobaine for permission to erect a shelter which has been donated by the police.

David told the meeting that The Three Tuns public house was now sold and contracts had been signed for the building of 6 – 8 affordable homes. He also said that the public meeting with developers, Richard and Amy Dixon, for the change of use of the Doxey Arms into single dwellings had allayed the majority of local residents’ fears.


Correspondence


Sustainable Energy Partnership, letter asking residents to write to MP David Kidney to vote in support of the Fuel Poverty (No2 ) Bill.


Department of Health, Letter informing the appointment of PPI Solutions to help LINk to fulfil its’ remit of ‘promoting and supporting the involvement of people in commissioning, provision and scrutiny of local care services’

A.O.B.

It was brought to the meeting’s attention that some cyclists in Doxey are riding without lights and are in danger of being knocked down by other traffic. Residents are concerned that there is no police presence in Doxey after 8.00pm. John Smith will write to the neighbourhood police inspector Robert Pilling.
Isabella Davies told the meeting that starting on Monday 14th September, from 9-4pm, pathway improvement behind the church will be carried out by a Community Service team. More volunteers are requested to help.

Isabella reminded everyone to discuss children’s summer activities and the plant sale at the next meeting.


Next meeting of the Association will be on Wednesday 11th November ‘09 at 7.30pm

at the William Sutton Centre.