Doxey Bridge is currently (Sept 2008) being rebuilt (at a cost over £400,000) and there has been some comments in the press regarding its past.
If anyone can add to the history of the Bridge, especially with regard to the 'Key Stone' or if you have any pictures of the bridge the webmaster would be pleased to incorporate them into this page. (contact firstname.lastname@example.org or ring Iain on Stafford 607 771)
Until about 1890 there was a ford at this point with a wooden footbridge about 100m south which connected the two farms (Astonbank and Brook House). This appears on the 1881 map but has disappeared by 1901.
This is strange since there is no evidence for any bridge existing before about 1890. The inscription on the stone peculiar since the first two lines are neatly carved but the date is very uneven and in a completely different style.
Two thoughts !- The Broad Eye Bridge (near the Mill) used to be referred to as 'Doxey Bridge'. In the late 19th century (1860-1880)the original sandstone construction was demolished and replaced with the current steel bridge.
- '1681' is '1891' upside down !
In late 2008 County Council historians and archeologists examined the stone looking for any additional information but came to no definite conclusions. [It now appears that at the the they had just found the 'Staffordshire Hoard' and that was in bit more interesting !]
(Jan 2009)These seems to be agreement that the 1691 date is completely false but no-one had any real idea where it came from. The carving of the date is very crude.
The stone has now been replaced in the footings of the bridge but without any grand unveiling as was originally planned. There is no explanation so the confusion will continue.
nb. The bad carving and the way the is set now makes the date look like 1661 !
We now know the bridge was already built by 1891 (we have a 1891 reference to it being built 'a few years ago') - research continues....
- 1935 - New water main passes under bridge, defective girder found.
Repaired by Keays of Birmingham- 1938 - Repairs required (done by Staffs County Council (SCC) labour ?)
- 1949 - Re-painting required
- 1950 - Insurance claim (drum of paint fell into brook)
- 1955 - Minor repairs
- 1960s - M6 built - bridge unchanged - road alignments changed
- 1974 - Seighford Parish Council (SPC) request widening/footpath
- 1979 - Railings require repair - safety concerns by School
- 1981-89 SPC continue to ask for changes. SCC continue to look at costs.
- 1994 - Bridge widened and re-decked - 'keystone' removed. No footpath on Doxey side
- 1996 - Footpath & steps built on Doxey side
- 2008 - Bridge replaced
|Amended : 15-11-19||TOP|